Practice Quilt Top Completed

I know I haven’t written in a while but it took me a week to recover from the London trip, so time in the studio was pretty limited. However, I have completed the practice quilt top.

Practice Quilt Top Completed

 

Sorry it’s not a great photo; it was taken with the camera on my Smartphone. Tonight I’ll start to piece a backing for it.

I’m trying to find the pattern I used for Chris’s quilt, because Kerstin wants a quilt like it in different colors. So far, no luck. 😦

Next quilt is the first baby quilt I’m making for Butterbean. 🙂

Advertisements

Dr Seuss Quilt, Post 1

I made fairly good progress on the Dr Seuss quilt today. I sewed together all of the squares to make up the four rows, then I sewed the rows together to make up the main body of the quilt.

The main body of the top of the Dr Seuss quilt

The main body of the top of the Dr Seuss quilt

 

I’m not really thrilled with this quilt, though Travis’s friends Jayben and JT really seem to like it (Travis expressed no real opinion). There is too much going on here in the quilt, so when I make the Green Eggs and Ham quilt, I will use more solid and/or tone on tone fabrics to even out some of the busy-ness of the fabric. Also, as with all panels, this one wasn’t printed on the square, so some of the sashing is way off the row above it. It’s not a huge deal, I guess, and this section of the quilt is square … but the asymmetry of it bothers me a bit.

Tomorrow, I am planning to attach the borders (there are two, a thin one to frame the center and a larger one that has corner sets in each of the four corners) and start sandwiching it so I can get it quilted and bound. I started this quilt on December 28th, 2013. If I manage to make the progress I’m hoping to make, I will have it finished by next weekend – about 2 weeks from start to finish. I think that might be the fastest quilt I’ve put together in a long time.

Once this quilt is finished, I want to piece the free motion quilting practice quilt for the Craftsy class Free Motion Fillers. And once I have that pieced, I want to start working on some of the UFO’s I have laying around the studio (there are several, but I haven’t counted them; I probably should, to keep track of progress).

I have also set up a Facebook page specifically for my quilting stuff. It can be found here. Not sure what I’ll do with it yet but maybe I’ll figure it out as I go.

My formula for living is quite simple …

I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.  – Cary Grant

Staying occupied really isn’t a problem for me of late. Last weekend, for example, Chris and I went to the farmer’s market and purchased a big box of tomatoes, which I spent Sunday turning into tomato sauce. I’ve made homemade tomato sauce before, cooking down tomatoes to turn them into spaghetti sauce, but I’ve never made a big batch to be canned before now. I will admit that I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. From about 12 pounds or so of tomatoes, I canned nine pints of sauce. I can’t wait to try it out in recipes. I think my mom was surprised that I didn’t season the tomatoes at all – no salt, no spices … just tomatoes and a bit of lemon, to raise the acidity of the jar contents. I used a couple of jars during the week to make spaghetti, which got great reviews from my family, and a jar was used yesterday in some ranch beans that turned out fabulous. I am happy!

I had plans to sew last weekend, but because of the tomatoes, I didn’t get around to it. This weekend, I managed to get a pair of shorts made for myself. They are denim, and I’m quite happy with them, except that they seem to be a little looser than I expected. I made a muslin prototype, but the actual shorts are bigger than I expected, but I’ll do a post on that later. My plan this week is to spend some time at the sewing machine making myself some t-shirts and a top. I’m not worried about the fit of the top, because it’s very blouse-y and not even close to fitted, and the measurements actually work with my body measurements, and the same holds true for the t-shirt pattern I’m using. Once I have these clothes together, I may make another couple pairs of shorts, because as I mentioned before, I can certainly use some summer clothing.

Our new furniture was delivered a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. One of the things I haven’t done yet is to put up drapes in the house, because for one thing, drapes can be quite expensive, and for another, I’ve had some trouble finding something I truly like. So I got this idea to go looking for fabric to make my own drapes, at Joann’s. I was browsing through their home decor fabric, congratulating myself on such a good idea because I found several pieces I really loved. Then I looked at prices and wanted to cry. Most of the fabric I loved was more than $60/yard. Considering I need about 20 yards of fabric to cover four windows, it was clear that this wasn’t going to work. It also gave me a greater appreciation for the cost of draperies at places like JC Penney and other big box type stores. Even with a 50% off sale, the drapery fabric would be in excess of $600 … so now I’m considering other options again. Ugh!

All in all, I feel like I have spent a lot more time in my studio over the last couple of weeks than I have in the previous five years combined. It’s probably not true, but I definitely have the sewing bug. In fact, I’m enjoying it so much, I am going to dig through my fashion fabric stash in the closet and see what I can find in there to put together!

Happy sewing,

Jill