WIP Wednesday

Well, it’s been quite a while since I did a work in progress (WIP) post, but I really want to start posting more often, so here goes …

Today’s WIP is the quilt I mentioned in my last post that I’m working on for my husband. Unlike most of my projects, this one does have a deadline – I’d like to take it on vacation with us next week! I know it probably seems crazy to take a quilt on vacation, but that’s only because you’ve never spent any time in a vehicle with Chris, who is always warm. Since I’m always cold, and I don’t feel like wearing a parka on a spring vacation in the South, I decided we needed a quilt for the trip. Also, the quilt I made for Chris a while back is way too big to be used in the den as a throw, so this very manly quilt will fill that need, too. 😉

I found this motorcycle fabric online a couple of years ago. It’s part of the “Man Cave” series by Bernartex, and it is really beautiful. If you’re looking for some masculine fabric, I would suggest this series. I believe it’s ongoing, as there are images on the website now of cigars and such. Anyway, I combined that with some fabrics I had in my stash, and some Kona Solids to come up with the quilt top …

Motorcycle quilt top completed

Motorcycle quilt top completed

I guess I wasn’t really paying attention, because I didn’t notice that I had quite the pattern going here. LOL If I were to make this quilt again, I would probably replace the grey fabric with black, but Chris says he likes it just this way, so if he’s happy, I’m thrilled.

By the time you read this post, I will probably have the backing put together and the quilt sandwiched. And with a little luck, I’ll be well along in the quilting process. I mean, I only have a week and a half before I need it to be done. Here is the backing fabric …

Motorcycle quilt backing

Motorcycle quilt backing

Chris is a HUGE Texans fan, so I found this fabric a while back at Hobby Lobby and decided it would make a great backing for the motorcycle quilt – two of his favorite things in one quilt! The black and red will be borders around the Texans fabric, because it’s neither wide nor long enough without it. I haven’t decided if I’ll do two red borders and two black borders, or if I’ll do it like the front and run one and then the other all the way around. At first, I thought I’d do two red and two black, but I’ve been thinking it might look cooler to do the red and black together like the front of the quilt.

I have some ideas on how I’m going to quilt it, but I’ll save that to share once the quilt is completed.

Until next time, happy sewing!

Advertisements

A full day in studio

It has been ages since I’ve spent an entire day in the studio, but that’s exactly what I did yesterday. The menfolk were gone from the house, helping Chris’s brother move, so I decided to ignore the housework and spend some time working on the Dr Seuss quilt for my friend Julie.

Green Eggs and Ham Fabric

I woke up yesterday morning thinking about the quilt, so after grabbing some caffeine, I went straight back up to my room to get started – I had a vision and I couldn’t let it slip away from me. I had spent some time the day before cutting apart one set of panels and I’d sashed a few of them with 2.5″ Dr Seuss fabric strips. I finished all of that set of panels in the same manner – 2.5″ Dr Seuss printed fabric sashing, then I cut apart a second set of panels and sashed them using a Kona solid fabric in grass green. After that was done, I put everything up on the design wall to check layout.

Dr Seuss on Design Wall

 

Then I started sewing the panels and rows together.

Two rows of Dr Seuss Quilt

 

So far, I’m really pleased with this quilt. At first, I wasn’t sure how much I’d like the green sashing, but I think it is perfect. I love how it gives the eye a place to rest from all the busy-ness of the Dr Seuss fabric, and I think once it’s done, it’s going to look really great.

It’s been years since I spent a full day in the studio, and not once did I worry about the housework that wasn’t getting done, or what Chris was doing, or whether or not I should be doing something else. It was absolutely fantabulous, and I have decided that at least once a month I’m going to schedule a day to spend in the studio. If the guys want to leave the house or whatever, that will make it even easier. But if they stay here, I’m still going to spend the day in the studio. I was impressed with how much I got done yesterday, and I’d forgotten how much I enjoy spending the day quilting. 

I will get more done on the quilt today; I’m hoping to get the top put together even though I need to go in search of some fabric to act as a thin-ish interior border. It would be wonderful to get this quilt to the point where I can actually start on the quilting in the next week.

January 11, 2014 – A new quilt begins

Earlier this week, I decided to put Dr Seuss on hold so I can practice some free motion quilting (FMQ) so I can FMQ some of the Dr Seuss quilt. I really hate practicing on small squares though; I find that I do better with a larger project, so I started putting together the practice quilt for the Free Motion Fillers, Vol. 1 class from Craftsy.com.

Practice Quilt

This is a pretty easy quilt so far (I’m pretty sure that’s the whole point, anyway) and the cost wasn’t too bad – about $50 total. So I might just make a couple more to practice on as well. These are all solid colors, obviously, and I’m using Kona cottons. But next time I might try ordering some Moda Bella solids to see how I like them – I’ve never tried them and I would like to give them a shot. I like Kona, and it’s a good quality but I’ve heard that Bella is a bit better. I’m going to use white thread to quilt with I think … I think white will show up better than black across all the colors.