I was sooooooo excited to finish this quilt – the first quilt I’ve actually finished in 2014, I apparently forgot to post it. Wooooooow … This one was ridiculously easy, but for some reason it took me freakin’ forever to do the binding. The entire quilt could easily be done in a single weekend, but I managed to drag it out for more than three months, because that’s how I roll.
Yes, that IS my son holding up the quilt while sitting in bed, because he was too lazy to stand up and hold it up for me. Fortunately, he has ridiculously long arms, so it worked. And I don’t have to apologize for his funny faces he makes while holding quilts as I take photos. LOL
This week, though I’m on vacation, I have yet to spend any real quality time in the studio. However, that should all change today, as my only plans for the day involve sewing, although I suspect that at some point, I will end up leaving the house; isn’t that what always happens? But my focus today isn’t another quilt – it’s t-shirts! I am tired of the baggy, ill-fitting t-shirts that are just not really my style that I keep finding in stores these days. I’m certainly no seamstress, and alterations terrify me, but I am really not impressed with the RTW clothing I’m finding lately. The t-shirt pattern I’ve chosen seems to be a fairly easy one, that has some fitting already. I’m sort of hoping I can get two of these shirts made, if not today, definitely this week.
If this goes well, I may be ordering tons of knit fabric to make some t-shirts. I have lots of ideas, including some embroidery and other embellishments. 🙂
Sorry I haven’t been around the last month – I just couldn’t get enough time to log in, let alone actually write a post. That’s what happens to me at year end, every year. No matter how well prepared I think I am, it all just falls apart. Such is the life of the corporate employed accounting types.
Anyway, I thought I’d eek out a few minutes to share with you the completed quilt I made for Pam. Can you believe it’s ready to ship?! I just started it the last week of October, and here it is the middle of December, ready to ship! If anyone had told me I could finish this quilt in just six weeks, I wouldn’t have believed them. And it turned out to be a very generous size as well – 60″ x 76″ … bigger than the average lap quilt, smaller than a twin size bed quilt. But enough about all that … Now for the quilt!
This is the first quilt I’ve ever used Free Motion Quilting in, though I have practiced on squares several times. It’s not perfect, but I like the way it turned out …
It’s sort of hard to see where the “mess ups” might be on the front (above) but on the back on some of the lighter colored fabric, it’s easier to see that it isn’t so fluid.
And speaking of the back … I really like the way the back turned out!
Yes, it is wonky, and yes, it is on purpose.
Overall, I am very pleased with how this quilt turned out, and I think it will be beautiful for years to come. I just hope Pam likes it as much as I do!
OK, I know that some folks don’t think it’s so “ugly” and I can respect that. My husband chose the fabric and pattern for this quilt, as it is his, and overall I think it came out ok. There are things that are wrong with it, but as my Mom has always said, those things will never been seen on a galloping horse (don’t ask, I don’t really know). So, after much anticipation, here is Ugly Quilt in all its finished glory …
And this is the backside – I dyed the fabric myself. There are still threads to be cut, so it looks sort of odd, but I need to toss it in the washing machine so we can use it tonight. My current bed quilt, made by an old friend of my mother’s when I got married to my first husband 22 years ago, is falling apart, and we need a replacement.
I have a couple other quilts I need to get finished soon, so it’s unlikely I’ll get to a bed quilt any time soon, so until I do, this quilt, though too small for a king sized bed, will have to suffice. 🙂
Next up is a baby quilt, which I hope to have finished soon, so I can a) get my money back from the household account, as I buy all fabrics for quilts out of my “mad money” account, then reimburse myself when the quilt is a gift and done; and b) move on to a very cute Halloween quilt I’d like to get made before the holiday!
I say it’s sorta finished because the reality is, it’s done but not the way I wanted it done. See, I broke not one, but two embroidery machines making this quilt. OK, maybe I didn’t break them, but they stopped working. The result is that three squares I wanted to embroider are not done, but at this point I just have to go with the flow. It doesn’t look bad, but it does look weird, because three of the squares are across the top. However, overall, I think the quilt looks ok. I’m not completely pleased with it, but at this point, since it’s headed “across the pond” I need to get it out the door, and I can’t wait any longer for machine repairs. /sigh
What I like about this quilt is that it’s the first one that employs a lot of fabrics that I dyed myself – all the solids were done by me. The only purchased fabric in the quilt is the Winnie the Pooh/Tigger fabric. It was relatively quick and easy to make, and a fast finisher, except for the small problems with the embroidery. I think this is the last time I employ embroidery in my quilts to “tie” them off – I would need to invest in a more reliable, expensive machine for me to feel confident in doing anything too big (this was a baby quilt, only 3′ square, and it didn’t get finished despite using two different machines!). And I want to start focusing on free motion quilting – which will be interesting. I’ve done some practice squares, and I need to keep doing them, but nothing that’s been really great. I need to start spending at least 30-45 min a day practicing so I can get really good. Or even somewhat good.
I should have a photo of “ugly quilt” to post this week as well in it’s finished state. More about that then.