WIP Wednesday

Last week, I didn’t do a WIP Wednesday post because … well … I hadn’t made any progress on anything for most of the week. I’d made a couple squares on the quilt I’m making for my friend Heather, but nothing really worthy of a blog post or photos. This week, however, I do have something to show you.

Labor Day weekend was much busier than I had anticipated, so I didn’t get much done on the quilt on Saturday or Sunday. But I set aside Monday to work on the quilt, and quilt I did. In fact, I got all of the squares made! This means that I need to dye a backing for the quilt, so I need to make a decision on that as well. Green seems the obvious choice, but I’m not really sure that’s the direction I want to go. I was thinking sky blue, maybe. I’ll decide today so I can get it going, because I’d really like to be in a position to sandwich this weekend and get started on the quilting part. But enough talking for today. Here are a couple of pictures to show you the progress of the quilt. 🙂

 

It looks a bit like a skeleton doesn’t it?

 

 

IMG_2756

 

I do still need to go back and fix the prototype squares I made first, because they were put together out of order. But once that’s done, I can start sewing the quilt top together. Hopefully the entire top will be put together by this weekend.

 

IMG_2759
The nine-patches will act as setting squares.

 

IMG_2758

 

The correct way for the squares to be put together!

 

IMG_2757

WIP Wednesday

Although I’m really loving the quilt I’m making right now for my friend Heather, I have to confess that I haven’t made much progress on it, and the reason for that is fairly simple. As you might recall, I posted over the weekend about my daughter moving up her wedding date. Fortunately, they have made another schedule change, pushing the date back to mid-October. Still, there was a flurry of activity for several days that left me exhausted both physically and emotionally, and little was done on Heather’s quilt. Still, I share with you the progress to date …

IMG_2707

 

You’d be surprised how long it takes to sew together 25 2.5″ squares to make this one bigger square. Really, it isn’t the sewing so much as the ironing. But hopefully, with my long weekend coming up I’ll be able to make some decent progress on this one.  I’d really like to have the top finished by Labor Day, but we’ll see how it goes.

Till next time,

Me

Something Different

Different for me, at least. I’ve never made a purse, though I’ve made some bags. But I just put the finishing touches on a hobo bag for myself, and I’m pretty happy with it. There are, of course, some changes I will make next time, but over all, it works for me. What do you think?

I wasn’t really happy with the button, but I didn’t have a lot of choice. My local JoAnn’s store’s button selection sucks – I was really just looking for a black and gold button, but they had nothing that fit the bill – so I settled for this. It doesn’t match exactly but I guess it works. The fabric came from my stash, and I used a really great blue by Kona for the lining. There is a pocket inside that is made from the same butterfly fabric as the outer shell (I would have posted a photo of the inside, but I couldn’t get a good one). I can’t think of a better way to use my favorite fabrics from my stash!

I used Simplicity 0387, but next time I think I will make some changes to it – like a pocket on the outside for a cell phone. And I will trim back the interfacing, because it makes the seams a little too bulky and they don’t lay flat. The next purse I make will actually be somewhat easier … but I’ll save the info on it for another post. 🙂