Lessons in patience and frustration

Last week, I wrote about all my plans for the free time I would have now that I’ve left Corporate America behind. I was so excited and looking forward to doing what I want, when I want to do it. I’d like to report back to you that I’ve been having a great time doing all the things I planned, and more, but alas, that is not the case. Instead, what I can report is that I’ve been sick all week. At times, I’ve been so sick that even the idea of walking up the stairs to my bedroom seemed like unnecessary torture. Not only that, but the few times I’ve felt well enough to drag myself in to the studio, my results have been frustrating and irritating, to say the least. In fact, nearly everything I’ve touched this week has resulted in similar feelings of ineptitude and irritation. The only thing that has truly worked in my favor is sitting on my butt, watching Netflix and playing on the iPad.

So that you don’t think I’m exaggerating, here, in no particular order, is a partial list of the things I have failed at miserably in the last seven days …

  • I decided that since I was sick, and didn’t really feel like doing much standing, I would work on improving my Electric Quilt 7 (EQ7) skills. EQ7 is a great program that quilters can use to plan out quilts, and I’ve long wanted to master it. I did some tutorial courses a few months ago, and I thought that maybe it was time to give it another go, so I pulled out my notebook and opened the program. But something is wrong, and I cannot open the Sketchbook. The Sketchbook is the “clipboard” that stores the blocks and fabrics you’ve planned to use on your quilt, and without it, nothing is going to happen. So now I’m waiting on technical support to tell me what I’m doing wrong (it must be my fault, right?).
  • I thought I would try scanning the patterns from the Amy Bradley Campers quilt into the Brother ScanNCut. I’ve had the SNC for probably a year, but I haven’t used it to its full potential, so I thought I’d try using it for this. At first, I couldn’t get the patterns to scan properly, but then I figured out it was the way I was trying to scan them. Got that figured out, and got a block’s worth of pieces scanned in, so I thought I’d test it out with some “throw away” fabric, and maybe use that to make a cute sewing machine cover for one of the machines. But I couldn’t get the Wonder Under to adhere to the fabric. I thought I finally got it to adhere, so I tried cutting a couple of the pieces on the SNC, but … wow. It was a mess. An utter mess.

Brother SNC trial

  • When that didn’t work out, I thought I’d try using the AccuQuilt Go! Baby I bought last year but haven’t used much (are you noticing a theme here?) to play around with applique. While I knew I wouldn’t use it to do the Amy Bradley quilt, I figured I could get some practice fusible interfacing and such. I happened by SewVac City in College Station yesterday and bought a new die to use with my Baby, a cute owl I thought would be fun to work with … but again, I still can’t get the fusible to fuse to my fabric! At least the die cuts fabric well …

55333_pkg_1_1

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. So I’ve decided to take the antibiotics the doctor gave me today and wait a couple days to see if my abilities improve with my health. Because I mean, what else can I do? I think that one more failure might push me to the edge of sanity and let’s face it – I’m already barely hanging on as it is!

I will say this – if I cannot figure out how to get the applique thing going, next week I’m going to do something I know I CAN do and piece a quilt!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s