After my last post about the lack of completions I had in 2015, I set right to work to make sure I don’t have that same end to 2016. I really am quite serious about improving my skills and my completions this year, both in quilting and garment sewing. If I have the time, I might add in some home decor as well, but for now, I need to get some quilts finished. I realized earlier today that if I were to finish every one of the quilts I have that are at least partially completed this year, I would have Christmas gifts for just about everyone I would need a gift for in 2016. That’s really sort of sad when you think about it, but I’m determined to turn it in to a positive.
Anyway, I got right to work on Fatquartershop.com’s Wishes quilt from 2014. I know, I know, it’s a little late. But I had nine of the twelve blocks completed, so I figured it was as good a place as any to start, and I think it’s going to be a really pretty quilt when it’s done. Here is my block …
If I were to do it again, I would use at least one yellow-based fabric. When I was selecting fabrics for this block, originally that was my intention. But when looking at the fabrics together, this selection was more pleasing to the eye. However, once it was all together, I could see that it lacked contrast. Also, before anyone mentions it, yes, some of my points were cut off. I don’t really know how that happened, because everything measures out correctly, but here we are – cut off points. By the time I discovered it, I wasn’t going to take it all apart to figure out why the points were cut off, and as Leah Day has said many times, done is better than perfect. And since my goal this year is Done … well, at least this block is just that.
One dark moment in this otherwise happy accomplishment – I used Mary Ellen’s Best Press for the first time ever on this block. I picked it up at Joann’s because it was on sale, and I’d read rave reviews about it. I thought that with all the points and intersecting seams, the Best Press might be just what I needed to keep the seams as flat as possible. Unfortunately, I experienced some yellowing on the white fabric.
I am really hoping that when I wash the final quilt, this discoloration will come out. If it doesn’t, I’m going to be one very unhappy quilter.
Now that this block is done, I have plans to get my fleece jacket completed today. I played around with embroidering some designs on the binding, but I decided against it in the end. I am just not adept enough at putting designs together in a long, continuous line, but it’s given me something else I need to work on. Instead, I went back to the fabric store and purchased more Kona black cotton fabric to do the binding. Even though it will be plain, at least it will be done, and I can try something a little more fancy next time. The fabric is in the dryer now, so hopefully I can get this one completed today.
Once that’s done, I think I will do the last two blocks in the Wishes quilt. When I bought the black fabric for the fleece jacket, I also bought some fabric for the sashing on this quilt. I am going a different way, and it’s a bit of a leap of faith, but I’m excited to see how it turns out, so this quilt might be moving to the front burner.
Have a wonderful Sunday doing what you love best!