I made fairly good progress on the Dr Seuss quilt today. I sewed together all of the squares to make up the four rows, then I sewed the rows together to make up the main body of the quilt.
I’m not really thrilled with this quilt, though Travis’s friends Jayben and JT really seem to like it (Travis expressed no real opinion). There is too much going on here in the quilt, so when I make the Green Eggs and Ham quilt, I will use more solid and/or tone on tone fabrics to even out some of the busy-ness of the fabric. Also, as with all panels, this one wasn’t printed on the square, so some of the sashing is way off the row above it. It’s not a huge deal, I guess, and this section of the quilt is square … but the asymmetry of it bothers me a bit.
Tomorrow, I am planning to attach the borders (there are two, a thin one to frame the center and a larger one that has corner sets in each of the four corners) and start sandwiching it so I can get it quilted and bound. I started this quilt on December 28th, 2013. If I manage to make the progress I’m hoping to make, I will have it finished by next weekend – about 2 weeks from start to finish. I think that might be the fastest quilt I’ve put together in a long time.
Once this quilt is finished, I want to piece the free motion quilting practice quilt for the Craftsy class Free Motion Fillers. And once I have that pieced, I want to start working on some of the UFO’s I have laying around the studio (there are several, but I haven’t counted them; I probably should, to keep track of progress).
I have also set up a Facebook page specifically for my quilting stuff. It can be found here. Not sure what I’ll do with it yet but maybe I’ll figure it out as I go.